I remember this quote on Asian American identity from some conference I attended, I forgot which one (it was probably ECAASU). It went something like this: "In America, you are Asian, but in Asia, you are American."
I would say being in Taiwan improved my Chinese by quite a bit. My Chinese is not as bad as you guys may think; I understand most conversational Chinese and I only lack in speaking ability - which is usually good enough to get around too. It had gotten to the point where I would instinctively speak Chinese to everyone, even people who spoke English, like my family.
When I got to Japan, things suddenly changed. I couldn't really talk to anyone, much less understand anyone. All my living accommodations had English-speaking staff, yet I still barely spoke English. The receptionist (a woman in her mid-30s) who was working evening shifts the nights I was there asked me, when I checked in, "Are you Asian?" I responded with "Yes, Chinese." She said "Oh, me too. Ni hao." Boom - we started talking to each other in Chinese. A lot.
Among the numerous topics that were brought up, she gave me some advice. She said that I should become fluent in Chinese so that in the future, my children will know Chinese. And that I should marry a Chinese person, or at least someone who can speak Chinese, for the same reason.
That got me thinking about myself as a Chinese American. I consider myself very Americanized; I would say that the language (besides physical appearance and genetics) is the only thing that really connects me with my Chinese heritage. So if I don't pass that onto my children, what else do they have? Mr. Lee is the owner of the guest house I stayed at in Yokohama. He is entirely Korean, but his great-grandparents were born and raised in Japan, and so were his parents and grandparents. He doesn't speak or understand Korean, and might as well be Japanese if it weren't for his last name and his Korean looks. I would like for my descendants to keep connections with their heritage.
I think a couple people know that I am also against interracial marriage (only for myself, of course). This is the reason why. Preservation of what little culture I have.
Also, knowing a second language (especially Chinese) offers huge employment opportunities in the future.
Not really sure what I'm trying to say here. But I know for sure that I want to learn more Chinese, both verbal and on paper.
No comments:
Post a Comment